The Lally School offers undergraduate students in management the opportunity to seek further specialization in other non-management programs by obtaining dual or double degrees upon graduation, to continue their studies with a combined degree option, the co-terminal B.S./M.S. program or the B.S./J.D. degree.
Undergraduate students who fulfill all the degree requirements for two curricula and who have met the conditions below will have completed a dual major. They will receive one diploma noting both majors.
- The student designates a first-named and second-named major in writing at least one semester prior to graduation, and have the appropriate department(s) approve this designation prior to filing the dual major form with the registrar.
- Each student is assigned an adviser in each department who will monitor progress towards degrees in that department.
- The degree clearance officer in the department certifies that the student has met the degree requirements in that department.
- The 24-credit-hour mathematics/science requirement and the 24-credit-hour humanities and social sciences requirement will satisfy the Institute requirements for both majors.
Dual Major Options
A student may become a candidate for a second baccalaureate degree when he or she has completed:
- The equivalent of at least two terms (30 credit hours) of additional work beyond the requirements of a single degree,
- The courses in the department in which the student is registered and such other courses as are required for the second degree.
Co-Terminal B.S./M.S. Program
To better prepare students to meet the growing demands of industry and the marketplace, Rensselaer offers undergraduates the opportunity to extend their financial aid and earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years. The co-terminal graduate degree program offers Rensselaer undergraduates with strong academic records the opportunity to study for a master’s degree while completing their bachelor’s degree. The M.S. in Management; Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics; or Technology Commercialization and Entrepreneurship from the Lally School may just be the edge for your advanced career launch. For more information click here.
Bachelor of Science and Juris Doctor (J.D.) Degree
The Lally School offers a combined Bachelor of Science and Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree in management and law.
Students accepted into the managementlaw program may choose to complete their law coursework at either Albany Law School or Columbia Law School, each with their own application process.
Rensselaer is one of the 22 universities participating in the Accelerated Interdisciplinary Legal Education (AILE) program with the Columbia University School of Law. Rensselaer nominates exceptionally motivated third-year students for acceptance at Columbia Law School. Other law schools where top performing students have applied and been accepted include Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Virginia, and Chicago.
The management and law program is a six year plan of study, preparing students to handle complex legal management issues in today’s technology-driven world. Graduates may work as corporate executives and attorneys, private practitioners, or as elected or appointed public officials.