This celebration is the highlight of the Center’s extensive roster of programs.
Established in 1990, this award salutes successful entrepreneurs who, in turn, are important role models for the students of Rensselaer. Those honored with the award bring the world of entrepreneurship into Rensselaer’s classrooms and laboratories, sharing their experience and wisdom with all students. Given the importance of the entrepreneurial spirit in Rensselaer’s past, present and future, it is indeed a singular honor Rensselaer bestows in selecting the Entrepreneur of the Year.
Be part of the nomination process:
Criteria for nominees:
- Must be an RPI graduate who has achieved great success in his/her industry.
- For the purposes of this award, success means having built an enterprise or series of enterprises that have brought value to the marketplace, through either technical or social change.
Entrepreneur of the Year Award Recipients
- 2014 John Delbridge '91, Jeffrey Stewart '91, and David Uyttendaele '91, Founding Members of Mimeo.com
Watch ther video
- 2013 Karthik '97 and Guha Bala, Founders, Vicarious Visions
Watch the video
- 2012 Harry Ruda '68, '69G, CEO, Wing Power Energy Watch the video
- 2011 Sean O'Sullivan '85, Co-founder and Managing Director, Avego Ltd; Founder and Managing Director, SOS Ventures Watch the video
- 2010 Jacqueline Novogratz, Founder and CEO, Acumen Fund Watch the Video / Watch the Interview
- 2009 A.P. Parigi, Managing Director, Entertainment Network (India) Limited (ENIL); Managing Director and CEO, Times Infotainment Media Limited
- 2008 William G. Pomeroy ‘66, Founder and CEO, CXtec
- 2006 Brendan L. McKernan ‘00, Co-founder and VP of Operations, Agencourt Biosciences Corp.
- 2004 Frederick W. Smith, Chairman, President and CEO, FedEx Corp.
- 2003 James Q. Crowe ‘72, CEO, Level 3 Communications
- 2002 John J. McDonnell Jr. ‘61, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Transaction Network Services Inc.
- 2001 Mukesh Chatter ‘82, Founder, President and CEO, Axiowave
- 2000 Curtis Priem ‘82, Co-founder and CTO, NVIDIA Corp.
- 1999 Nancy S. Mueller, Founder and President, Nancy's Specialty Foods
- 1997 Arthur L. Goldstein ‘57, Chairman, President and CEO, Ionics Inc.
- 1995 John H. Broadbent Jr. ‘59, Co-founder, CFO, VP Finance and Treasurer, Arrow International Inc.
- 1994 Paul J. Severino ‘69, Founder and Chairman, Bay Networks
- 1993 Warren Bruggeman ‘46, VP and General Manager, General Electric's Nuclear Business Operations
- 1992 Salvator Alfiero ‘64, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Protective Industries LLC
- 1991 Thomas LeFevre ‘71, Co-founder, Intuit
- 1990 William Mow ‘59, Founder, Bugle Boy Industries
Titles and affiliations listed are representative of the positions held at the time the award was given.
The Rensselaer Entrepreneur of the Year Award is named for William F. (“Bill”) Glaser ’53, founder and President (retired) of Com Mar, Inc., a wholesaler of communication, navigation and marine accessory products. Bill was active in Navy ROTC and the IFC. He is a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity. Bill created the entrepreneur of the year concept with Lally School Associate Dean Mark Rice ’71 in 1989, and the Award was launched in 1990.